Take a video tour of the powerful network bandwidth and traffic analysis features in SolarWinds® NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA) including; flow based monitoring;
bandwidth usage by application, protocols, source, destination, and
type of service; and identification of top talkers.
Network Traffic Analyzer & Network Bandwidth Monitor
SolarWinds NetFlow analyzer enables you to capture data from continuous streams of network traffic and convert those raw numbers into easy-to-interpret charts and tables that quantify exactly how the corporate network is being used, by whom, and for what purpose.
Top 5 Reasons to use Our NetFlow Analyzer
Traffic Analysis Dashboard
Our NetFlow analyzer, SolarWinds NTA, delivers a comprehensive, customizable view of your network traffic on a single page.
- Spot potential problems quickly with top ten views that are included out-of-the-box
- Get to the root of bandwidth issues with an intuitive point-and-click interface
- Identify network-wide top talkers and top applications so you always know who is using the most bandwidth
- Interactive charts with one minute granularity for quick diagnosis of network traffic issues, bandwidth spikes, and micro bursts
SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA) delivers a traffic analysis dashboard that offers a simple, summarized view of your network traffic on a single page with easy drill-down capability. See what’s going on at-a-glance and drill down into problem areas. Explore traffic patterns, understand device performance, and see how bandwidth is being consumed.
With SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer, there’s no need to navigate between different applications or views to quickly isolate network issues. SolarWinds NTA enables you to quickly troubleshoot network traffic issues using new interactive charts with one minute granularity.
Learn More about Network Traffic Analysis Dashboards »
Multi-vendor Device Support
Analyze NetFlow, J-Flow, sFlow, IPFIX and Huawei NetStream data on devices from Cisco Systems®, Extreme Networks®, HP®, Juniper, Nortel Networks®, and other leading vendors with SolarWinds’ NetFlow analyzer.
- Analyze NetFlow v5, NetFlow v9, sFlow v2, v4, v5, IPFIX, J-Flow, and Huawei NetStream™ data
- Support devices from Cisco, Extreme Networks, HP, Juniper, Nortel Networks, Huawei, and other leading vendors
- Support for NetFlow traffic from VMware vSwitch
SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer delivers multi-vendor support. With SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer, you can analyze NetFlow, sFlow®, IPFIX, J-Flow, and Huawei NetStream™ data from devices manufactured by leading vendors, including:
- Cisco Systems®
- Juniper Networks®
- Extreme Networks®
- Foundry Networks®
- Nortel Networks®
- VMware (vSwitch)
Learn More about Device Support »
Bandwidth Usage by Application
SolarWinds’ NetFlow analyzer has advanced application mapping capabilities that provide valuable insights into which applications are consuming the most network bandwidth.
- Gain insight into top application hogs by organizing traffic coming from common applications such as Apple® QuickTime, Oracle® databases, and telnet
- Parse traffic arriving from popular web applications including YouTube™, Facebook®, Amazon® and online games
- Monitor network traffic from multi-port applications
Knowing that 98% of your bandwidth is “Web traffic” is nice, but knowing what percentage is being used by YouTube, Facebook, or Amazon, versus critical business applications like Salesforce.com® is really useful! With advanced application mapping, you’ll be able to track application traffic arriving from designated ports, source IPs, destination IPs, and even protocols. Additionally, the ability to store historical network traffic data makes it easy for you to isolate applications causing network traffic spikes and perform root cause analysis.
For example, with a QuickTime application that monitors port 554, port 1220, and ports 6970 to 6999, you’ll quickly know exactly how much of your network bandwidth is consumed by network users watching QuickTime content.
Learn More about the Network Bandwidth Feature »
Bandwidth Threshold Alerting
Receive instant alert notifications, including a list of “top talkers”, when an interface exceeds its bandwidth utilization threshold with our NetFlow analyzer.
- Alert notifications include a list of “top talkers” and are specially formatted for mobile devices
- Delivers an alert when interface bandwidth utilization crosses pre-defined thresholds
- Simplifies troubleshooting by providing direct links to flow details from SolarWinds events
It never fails. Whenever you hear that age old complaint, "the network is slow," it’s usually the result of some user or application deviously consuming your precious bandwidth. But how can you keep ahead of these mischievous mayhem-makers?
With SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA), you can easily configure an interface utilization alert to notify you when bandwidth consumption exceeds your defined threshold. Bandwidth alert notifications even include a list of the top talkers on your network so that you can quickly pinpoint the bandwidth hogs.
So the next time Ann in finance is spending her lunch hour watching YouTube videos and slamming your internet gateway’s primary interface, you’ll get an email alert notification warning you that the bandwidth utilization for that interface is approaching capacity. Using the list of top talkers, you can instantly identify that Ann is the problem and de-prioritize her YouTube traffic.
Learn More about Network Bandwidth Alerts »
Install and deploy our NetFlow analyzer in less than an hour using a few simple steps and a wizard interface that guides you through the process step-by-step.
- DIY Deployment gets you up and running in less than an hour
- Simple wizard interface
- Automatically collects flow data from Flow-enabled devices monitored by SolarWinds NPM
SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA) provides a simple installation and configuration wizard that makes it easy to deploy. SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer automatically collects flow data from any Flow-enabled device monitored by SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor (NPM) for fast and easy deployment.
Even better, with SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager intuitive web interface, you won’t need to attend training classes, read books with large animals on the cover, or pour through manuals in order to become productive.
Learn More about Deployment »
System Requirements - One Software Fits All
NTA Main Poller - Windows® 2003 & 2008 Server (64-bit), with IIS installed
NTA Flow Storage Database - Windows® 2003 & 2008 Server (64-bit)
Windows® Server 2012 R2
NTA Main Poller - Quad Core 3 GHz or better
NTA Flow Storage Database - Quad Core 3 GHz or better
Orion Database - SQL Server® 2005 SP1 Express, Standard or Enterprise or SQL Server 2008 Express, Standard, or Enterprise
NTA Flow Storage Database
NTA Main Poller - 3GB
NTA Flow Storage Database - 16GB
NTA Main Poller - 3GB
NTA Flow Storage Database – 20GB
NOTE: The minimum server requirements listed assume default configuration. Significantly increasing the poll rate or statistic collection rate could result in additional load on the server, which may require a larger CPU or additional memory.
Must-Have Features of NetFlow Traffic Analyzer
Create in-depth network traffic reports with a few clicks or schedule automatic weekly delivery to your team with our NetFlow analyzer, SolarWinds NTA.
- Create custom flows for NetFlow, J-Flow, sFlow®, Huawei for Netstream™, and IPFIX data
- Leverage multiple out-of-the-box reports
- Schedule weekly reports for automatic delivery to management
With SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA), it‘s easy to create, run, and schedule SolarWinds-style reports for NetFlow, J-Flow, sFlow, IPFIX, and Huawei for Netstream™ data. Shipping with multiple built-in reports, SolarWinds NTA makes it painless to report on network traffic data over specific time periods or by network segment.
A simple interface makes it easy to customize built-in reports. Plus, it’s easy to schedule and automatically generate reports for delivery to management on a weekly basis.
Out-of-the-box reports include:
- Traffic by top x resources based on percentages of top 100 items
- Traffic by top x applications over y days
- Traffic by top x endpoints over y days
- Traffic by top x protocols over y days
- Traffic by top x domains over y days
- Traffic by IP address group over y days
SolarWinds NTA also allows you to generate custom reports on historical network traffic usage for any specific or group of applications, endpoints, and domains over a specified time interval.
Learn More about NetFlow Reporting »
Bandwidth Usage by IP Address Groups
Network traffic analysis with custom overlapping IP address groups with our NetFlow analyzer.
- Create regional groups (New York, Paris, Rome, Singapore) to determine how network traffic is behaving geographically
- View departmental bandwidth usage (accounting, engineering, marketing, sales)
All companies and networks are different. That’s why you need a flexible traffic analysis solution that allows you to create your own IP address groups to view network traffic the way that YOU want to see it!
With SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer’s IP address groups, you can designate multiple ranges of IP addresses (even overlapping IP addresses) by geography, department, or even device types such as firewalls, routers, switches, and servers.
Using your custom-designed address groups, you’ll know if the people in Poughkeepsie or the devices in Denmark are wasting your WAN bandwidth.
Learn More about our Bandwidth Usage Feature »
Network Traffic Forensics
Our network traffic analyzer enables you to drill down into any element’s traffic using multiple views to get the perspective you’re looking for.
- Investigate and isolate excessive network bandwidth utilization and unexpected application traffic
- View NetFlow, J-Flow, sFlow ®, IPFIX and Huawei for Netstream™ traffic by specific time periods to diagnose what happened during an outage
- Analyze QoS performance by user, group, application, country, protocol, class of service, ingress/egress, endpoint, conversation, or domain
- Acquire deeper visibility into your network by storing data on all historical IP conversations with one minute granularity
Whether the question is "what happened" or "what's happening right now," SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA) makes it easy to perform detailed network traffic analysis. You can look at traffic patterns over months, days, or minutes and drill down to the moment when something happened, allowing you to investigate the source of issues like excessive bandwidth utilization or unexpected application traffic.
Alongside storing top ‘x’ conversations per interface, SolarWinds NTA also stores and displays data of all historical IP conversations with one minute granularity, thus providing visibility into small network traffic spikes and micro bursts. This enables you to identify the root cause of the network issues and anomalies for faster troubleshooting.
Learn More about Network Traffic Forensics »
Border Gateway Protocol
With our NetFlow analyzer, SolarWinds NTA, you can set up customized views of Internet traffic for ISPs & organizations to better understand how network traffic is balanced across providers.
- Map the AS number to a user-friendly name
- View your AS summary
- Create filtered summary views for a particular AS or AS conversation with Flow Navigator
With SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer’s Border Gateway Protocol (BGP), you can track which service provider the traffic is going through. Also, view, rename, and create custom summaries for AS numbers located in NetFlow v9 and IPFIX records. Or, capture an AS-specific view for a particular NetFlow source or interface—quickly and easily!
Use Border Gateway Protocol, take a look at the top AS numbers by traffic across all NetFlow Sources or drill down to an AS-specific view for a particular NetFlow source or interface, including:
- Top IP Address Groups
- Top Transmitters
- Top Receivers
- Top Applications
- Top Conversations
- Top Protocols
- Total Bytes Transferred (in/out)
- Total Packets Transferred (in/out)
- Top Endpoints
It’s never been easier or more affordable to monitor network traffic!
Learn More about Customized Views »
CBQoS Performance Views
Our NetFlow analyzer enables you to view network traffic segmented by Class of Service methods, measure effectiveness of your CBQoS policies, and quantify bandwidth consumption by class map.
- Measure the effectiveness of your CBQoS policies with pre- and post-policy traffic levels per class map
- View network traffic segmented by Class of Service methods, such as Type of Service or DSCP
- Quantify bandwidth consumption for your critical applications
With SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA), you can view network traffic segmented by Class of Service methods, such as Type of Service or DSCP. Ensure that critical traffic such as voice or video is prioritized and isn’t dropped by monitoring the bandwidth each of your critical CBQoS levels is consuming with one minute granularity.
Learn More about CBQos Performance Views »
Top Talker Optimization
SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA) puts your network traffic analysis on turbo boost by focusing on top talker bandwidth usage.
- Boost your traffic analysis performance by up to 10x
- Focus your NetFlow traffic analysis on the users that hog the majority of network bandwidth
- Eliminate storing unnecessary network traffic data from users and applications that have virtually no impact on bandwidth usage
- Capture up to 95% of all network traffic in as little as 4% of the total amount of Flow data
Network engineers know that the majority of network bandwidth is typically used by a small number of users and applications. Our top talker optimization feature allows you to focus your traffic analysis on these bandwidth-sucking users and apps.
SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer determines which flows are representative of the majority of bandwidth usage. Those flows are then stored while disregarding flow data from users and applications that have a negligible impact on the overall bandwidth. This elegant solution boosts overall performance of SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer up to 10x when capturing flows that represent 95% of the total network traffic.
Learn More about Top Talker Optimization »
Create and access personalized network traffic views by filtering NetFlow, J-Flow, sFlow®, IPFIX, and Huawei NetStream™ data with our network traffic analyzer, SolarWinds NTA.
- Set up network traffic views by filtering NetFlow, J-Flow, sFlow®, Huawei NetStream™, and IPFIX data based on custom parameters
- Access the data most critical to your network instantly by saving or bookmarking personalized views
- Share key views as links with co-workers to facilitate teamwork
- Quickly save network traffic views to the menu bar
- Build queries using any of the fields supported by NetFlow, J-Flow, sFlow, and Huawei NetStream™
With SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA), you can create and share personalized network traffic views. Get as specific as you like – if you want to see domain traffic generated during standard office hours from a specific IP address, it’s no problem. With your own personalized view of network traffic, you can quickly isolate and continually monitor those problematic applications and users!
Learn More about Flow Navigation »
Integrated Fault, Performance, and Configuration Management
SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA) integrates with SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor (NPM) and SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager (NCM) to provide a unified solution for fault, performance, and configuration management.
- Visualize network traffic and stay on top of issues using SolarWinds’ familiar and intuitive web-based charts, graphs, tables, top 10 lists, and reports
- Combine performance management, configuration management, and traffic analysis to understand and optimize your network performance
NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA) is part of SolarWinds Network Management product family, providing all the enterprise scalability and stability benefits you’ve come to know and love. SolarWinds NTA incorporates monitoring of NetFlow, J-Flow, sFlow®, IPFIX, and CBQoS traffic into SolarWinds’ familiar and intuitive web-based charts, graphs, tables, top 10 lists, and reports.
SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager (NCM) integrates seamlessly, as well, enabling you to tweak and optimize your network based on insights from NetFlow Traffic Analyzer. Finally, you can monitor and manage network-wide health from a unified, comprehensive console!
Learn More about Product Integration »
Microsoft Active Directory Integration
SolarWinds NTA is a NetFlow analyzer that leverages your existing Active Directory user accounts to simplify login and account management.
- Leverage existing Microsoft Active Directory user account information and groups for SolarWinds NTA logins
- Customize accounts to display specific types of network data for a subset of users
- Create priority groups for users who belong to multiple Active Directory groups so you can ensure the appropriate permissions are delivered to specific users
Leverage your existing Microsoft Active Directory user accounts to allow users to log in to SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA). Users and groups can automatically login using custom username/password or optionally use an AD pass-through login to bypass the login screens altogether.
As an administrator, you can customize each account and specify which types of information are displayed within the SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer interface for a particular department, group, or user. This ensures that only the people who need to view specific information have access to it, providing an increased level of internal security.
Learn More about Active Directory Integration »
Live Demo: NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA)
Drive our live demo to discover how Orion NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA) analyzes Cisco NetFlow, Juniper J-Flow, IPFix, and sFlow data to deliver a complete picture of network traffic, identifying who and what are consuming your bandwidth.
Datasheet: SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA)
SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA) enables you to capture data from continuous streams of network traffic and convert those raw numbers into easy-to-interpret charts and tables that quantify exactly how the corporate network is being used, by whom and for what purpose. And with CBQoS monitoring you can be sure that the policies you’ve set give your mission-critical traffic the highest level of priority.
NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Overview
SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA) enables you to capture data from continuous streams of network traffic and convert those raw numbers into easy-to-interpret charts and tables that quantify exactly how the corporate network is being used, by whom and for what purpose. Take a video tour of the powerful network bandwidth and traffic analysis features in SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer including; flow based monitoring; bandwidth usage by application, protocols, source, destination, and type of service; and identification of top talkers.
Intro to CBQoS Monitoring
Learn how to determine the effectiveness of traffic prioritization policies with CBQoS monitoring, a new feature of SolarWinds Orion NetFlow Traffic Analyzer.
Network Management and Flow Analysis in Today’s Dense IT Environments
Come join the Head Geek as we discuss how network management and flow analysis evolved to keep pace with today’s complicated and dense IT environments. Specifically we’ll discuss managing data centers, changes in WAN technologies and WAN management, and best practices for flow analysis, including where to deploy flow exporters.
QoS Live - Part 2
Quality of Service (QoS) is back by popular demand! In Part 2 of our webcast series on QoS, our Head Geek will delve into super-technical topics like traffic shaping, scheduling and queuing algorithms, congestion avoidance, and CBQoS.
APNIC Case Study
In order to gain deeper insights into its Regional Internet Registry, APNIC purchased SolarWinds’ Orion Network Performance Monitor (NPM) and Orion NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA) solutions to improve monitoring and reporting on its network, which spans three sites in Australia and additional sites in Japan, Hong Kong and the USA.
NetFlow Tips & Tricks Whitepaper
One of the biggest factors impacting your network performance is network traffic and bandwidth usage. With more personal devices hogging enterprise network bandwidth, network managers are deploying new policies to maintain the quality of service.
Geek's Guide to the NetFlow v9 Datagram
Network traffic monitoring is a critical component of an overall network management framework and one of the most common ways to monitor network traffic is through the analysis of flow data.
How is SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer NTA licensed?
You must purchase the SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer NTA license that coordinates with your underlying SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor NPM license. For instance, if you own SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor SLX, then you would purchase the SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer for SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor SLX license. monitor.
Enterprise Operations Console delivers a consolidated command center for unified visibility into the remote SolarWinds deployments throughout your geographically distributed networks.
Learn More »
By adding additional polling engines, you can distribute the polling load between multiple servers to provide scalability for large IT infrastructures.
Learn More »
SolarWinds Failover Engine monitors the health of your SolarWinds servers to ensure you never lose visibility of the performance of monitored elements in your IT infrastructure. If something should happen to your primary SolarWinds server, the Failover Engine automatically fails over to a remote server.
Learn More »
By adding an additional web server engine, you can enable more users to access the dashboards and reports in the SolarWinds web portal without potential performance degradation.
Learn More »
SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA) v4.0 provides new performance enhancements and improved flow data retention.
- Increased flow processing speed and capacity – over 50,000 fps
- Increased raw flow data retention
- Store virtually unlimited flow data
- Explore & analyze network traffic up to 1 minute granularity
- No more data aggregation
- View historical flow data with high granularity and easily identify traffic spikes
- Faster Web page load time
- Read Less
+ Read More
SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA) v3.10.0 provides new interactive charts with zoom-in support along with other enhancements and bug fixes.
- Supports NetFlow traffic from VMware vSwitch
- Supports and analyzes sFlow® v2 and v4 data
- Japanese language localization support
- Read Less
+ Read More
SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA) v3.9 provides reporting and alerting enhancements along with other new features and bug fixes.
- CBQoS Reports
- Flow Direction Settings
- Unknown Traffic Events
- Read Less
+ Read More
SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA) v3.8 includes a Flow Navigator for building customized network traffic views along with other new features and bug fixes.
- Border Gateway Protocol
- Support for Huawei NetStream™
- Read Less
+ Read More
To see a complete version history for SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer, please visit our release notes
Tips and Training
Proactive NetFlow & VoIP Monitoring Solutions from SolarWinds
Watch the video