Step One: Install the Software
1. Have you downloaded the software?
If not, then click here to download it now. The download is approximately 1.7 GB. The virtual appliance software is available in Hyper-V and VMware formats.
2. Import the SEM virtual appliance software into your hypervisor.
LEM System Requirements
Hard Drive: 250 GB
Memory: 8 GB
CPU: Dual Core, 2GHz
Hypervisor (LEM requires either vSphere or Hyper-V):
- VMware® vSphere® ESX/ESXi 4.0 and later
- Microsoft® Hyper-V® Server versions 2008R2, 2012/2012R2
3. Power on the VM and assign an IP address.
The virtual appliance will automatically request a DHCP address. If a DHCP server is not available, or if you prefer to assign a static IP address to the SEM virtual appliance, watch the next video or follow these steps:
- Click Advanced Configuration.
- Type appliance at the prompt.
- Type netconfig.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to set the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS server address.
4. Open a web browser and log into the web console.
Open your favorite web browser and enter the IP address of your SEM virtual appliance. If DHCP set the IP address, then you can view the IP address in the VM console.
5. Install the reporting tool on your desktop.
You need to install an application on your desktop to run reports. The reporting tool installer is included in the download package in the SolarWinds Security Event Manager folder.
- Locate the "Install Next Desktop Software" executable. To install the tool, right-click the executable and choose Run as Administrator. (You must specify "Run as administrator" when installing the reporting tool, even if you are logged in as an administrator.)
- When the installation finishes, go to the Start menu and choose Program Files > Solarwinds Security Event Manager. Right-click the application shortcut and choose Run As Administrator. A dialog box asks for the virtual appliance IP address (or manager name).