Group related objects into collections
You can group related objects into permanent collections by using lists. These collections can be reused later. Lists can contain:
In terms of permission levels, lists can be:
- Publicly readable
- Publicly writable
Lists are useful if you want to keep record of items that do not change automatically.
For example, if you search for a specific set of VMs requiring a patch, you can add the results of the search to the Active List and save the list for future reference. As VMs get patched, you can remove them from the list.
You can also group a collection of hosts based on ownership, role, geography, or other attributes.
Lists are different from search queries because they are static. If a VM changes characteristics that are criteria for a search query, that VM does not show up in the search results anymore, but it remains in the list.
The only exceptions are cases where the VM is unregistered with a vCenter server, or otherwise made unavailable for data collection. In these cases, the VM does not remain in the list.
Add items to the list
You can add items to a list from the modules in Virtualization Manager in various ways:
- To add a single object to the list, click the orange + button.
- To add multiple objects to the list, select the items, and click Add to List.
- To add items from dashboard widgets to the list, click Add to List. This option is only available for some types of widgets. For information about widget types, see Create a dashboard.
Perform actions with the list items
- Click Explore > List to bring up the active list.
- Select one or more list items.
- Select an action, such as Export, Map, or Add to Chart.
Perform actions with the entire list
- Click Save as to save the contents of the list.
- Click Clear to remove the contents of the active list.
- Click Load to load a previously saved list.