Analyze historical performance in charts
Virtualization Manager collects historical information about resources, and is most effective when enough time has elapsed to create a large base for comparison.
For example, I/O latency data are not available until sufficient data have been collected, and the accuracy of the information increases as more data are gathered. The historical performance analyzer charts provide in-depth views to issues and trends in resources.
Performance data that can be visualized over time includes:
- CPU Ready
- CPU Used
- CPU Wait
- IOPs (Input/Output per second)
- Memory Active
- Memory Ballooning
- Memory Consumed
- Memory Swap In
- Memory Swap Out
- Memory Utilization %
- Net Packets Rx
- Net Packets Tx
To view data for an object, select one or more objects, and click Add to Chart.
The performance chart will be displayed.
Add lines to charts for comparison
- When viewing a performance chart, click Add Line.
- Select a line from the list, and click OK.
Display additional chart lines and component values
- Click to add lines to the performance chart from this VM, its parent cluster, its parent host, or related data stores.
- Click to display the component values that determine the overall value of this line. For example, the component values for CPU usage display the individual vCPU cores. If the line is made up of multiple components, only eight components are displayed on the chart.
Click to view the component values as a stacked chart.
Plan capacity by displaying best fit lines
All lines on the performance charts include an optional best fit line that shows a flat line which best fits the points for that metric. Select Best Fit at the top of the chart to display this line.
The best fit line is useful if there is an underlying long term trend in resource utilization. For some resources, for example, disk space, this is almost always the case. For others, for example, CPU, it only applies if the externally applied system load is driving a trend in the data set. The calculation is done on the data range selected in the graph. Hover over the best fit line to see additional details.
For any metric that is a percentage of total resources, the best fit line also includes an estimate for when that value will reach 100%.
View additional details of the chart
Select the options above a chart to display additional data.
- Config Collections
Displays the configuration collection times.
Displays the relevant notes.
Displays alert notifications.