View the dependencies between items of the infrastructure
Use dependency maps to see an item in your virtual infrastructure and how it is related to other items. Dependency maps enable you to see how problems in the environment can affect applications, services, or other areas of the virtual infrastructure.
Dependency maps have one or more items in context.
Only the items that are related to the items in context are displayed. Changing the context changes the dependencies.
Use the default context of the dependency map
You can access the dependency map in these ways:
- Click Explore > Map. This opens the dependency map with all clusters in context. This means that the entire virtual environment is displayed.
- Select one or more items from search results or the active list, and click Map. This puts the selected items in context. Only those virtual infrastructure items that are related to what is in context will be displayed on the dependency map.
Change the context of the dependency map
Click Show Entire Environment to put all clusters in the virtual environment in context.
To set the context to specific items:
- Select the items.
- Click Context.
Add items to a chart
- Select the items you want to add to a chart.
- Click More, and select Add to Chart.
- Select the chart where you want to add the item.
- Select the items you want to export.
- Click More, and select Export.
- Add the attributes to include in the data export, or load a predefined template.
- Click Run Export.
For more information, see Export search query results or lists.
Add items to the active list
- Select the items you want to add to the list.
- Click More, and select Add to List.
View alerts and dependencies in a historical context
- Click Explore > Map.
- Select a resource in the map, and click Context.
- Click View Calendar to navigate.
As you move through the time line, hover over the resource to see which alerts were raised during the selected time period.
Besides alert information, you can also see the dependencies of an item over time.
Time Travel information is only available when a single item is in context.
The Comparison or Add to Chart commands you run on items while you are in Time Travel mode run in the context of the selected time period.