Create cloud application monitors and templates
SAM provides additional monitoring options using component monitors, application monitors, and templates. Application monitor templates provide a powerful, customizable method to monitor applications in your environment. They help determine where errors occur: in the network or with the application. Every template includes component monitors that return metrics for monitoring performance, troubleshooting, threshold monitoring, and application health.
- You can create a custom template, or use an existing template, to monitor applications on the cloud instances. For a list of all templates, see the SAM Template Guide.
- Templates include a collection of application and component monitors, configuration settings, and scripts to collect and report data for assigned applications and nodes.
- Script monitors give limitless options for developing custom scripts for processing requests and returning metrics.
For complete information on creating custom templates and using component monitors, see the SAM Custom Template Guide.
For example, you may want to monitor your Linux OS on a Linux-based cloud instance in your Amazon Web Services (AWS) environment. You need to add the Linux-based cloud instance as a node, build a template, and assign the template to the node.
- In the Orion Web Console, click My Dashboards > Home > Cloud.
- Manage the Linux-based cloud instance as a node.
- Click Settings > All Settings > SAM Settings > Manage Templates.
Select the Linux CPU Monitoring Perl application template and click Copy.
A new template is added copying all of the application and component monitors, including any configured settings.
Modify the component monitors as needed for Linux on the cloud.
- Add any additional component monitors as needed.
Save and begin polling.
The template gathers and provides data in a template view.