SAM WMI monitors show a status of Unknown
To monitor SAM applications containing WMI component monitors, the following conditions must be true:
- WMI on the remote server is enabled and functioning properly.
- The remote server is accessible through a RPC connection in order to run the WMI queries.
If these conditions cannot be met, the WMI component monitors in SAM show an Unknown status. Examples of some issues that can prevent these conditions from being met include, but are not limited to the following:
- Trying to connect to a remote computer where you do not have local Administrator rights.
- A firewall blocking the WMI traffic.
- An operating system that is not configured for WMI.
- Mistyping the credential password in the SAM component monitor.
To help diagnose and fix these issues and others, we can test the WMI services, the remote WMI connections, and the SolarWinds SAM component configuration to discover and correct the issues that can prevent your WMI component monitors from functioning correctly.