Cloud Infrastructure Monitoring and Microsoft Azure
SAM 6.5 expands your ability to leverage the cloud further by adding support for Microsoft Azure accounts in addition to existing Amazon AWS support. Now you can use Azure or AWS accounts, or a mixture of both.
To support hybrid environments, the Orion Platform can retrieve data from the Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Microsoft Azure cloud service platforms for cloud instances and VMs that can be used to track availability, performance, applications, and more. Examples of data gathered include status, storage capacity, memory usage, and IP addresses.
After collecting status and metrics from cloud services, the Orion Platform compiles data to:
- Display a consolidated view of cloud, hybrid, and on-premises systems in the Orion Web Console.
- Monitor and manage an entire infrastructure with Orion Platform tools.
- Track the overall health of a system, as well as individual resources, for auditing purposes.
When managing cloud instances as nodes, SAM provides additional options to further manage cloud instances, applications, and OS:
- Manage cloud applications and OS as nodes on cloud instance nodes. These nodes also display in the AppStack and Performance Analysis (PerfStack) for at-a-glance troubleshooting across your environment.
- Poll specific OS metrics beyond basic AWS metrics including cloud instance memory (RAM) and additional metrics using SAM application monitors.
- Use SAM application monitors and templates to poll applications deployed in the cloud.
- Develop and deploy custom script monitors for PowerShell, Nagios, Linux/Unix, and Windows.
See Monitor cloud instances and VMs to learn about requirements and recommendations for optimal performance.
Monitoring cloud metrics
With Cloud Infrastructure Monitoring configured, monitor real-time and historical data for your cloud environment:
- Monitor metrics through a Cloud Summary page.
- Every resource provides global performance and cloud metrics.
- Drill-down into instance details pages for system information, performance metrics, and active alerts.
- Review attached volume health and general data displays for the environment.
- Create and maintain alerts to track issues and events in your environment.
To further enhance your monitoring with additional metrics, add the cloud instances as nodes. The applications can be monitored using:
- WMI and SNMP: This option requires the use a VPN that connects to an AWS VPC or Azure Virtual Network.
- Orion agents: This option can be used with or without a VPN.
Troubleshooting cloud metrics with PerfStack
Perfstack provides a holistic way to view your environment's performance issues by correlating historical performance data from your Orion managed applications. Create consolidated views of charts and graphs to collect and compare cloud metrics alongside metrics, data, and logs for all managed nodes in the Orion Platform.
This means you can turn root cause analysis (RCA) meetings into a collaborative effort, by bringing historical application, server, virtualization, and storage performance data into one time-boxed view. Experts on your team can quickly identify what other performance data needs to be dragged to the Performance Analysis dashboard, and collaborate to zero inon the root cause by changing the time line and objects as the story of the problem comes into focus.
- Add metrics for every monitored and managed node in the Orion Web Console
- Review metrics gathered from multiple Orion Platform products into a consolidated view
- Merge metrics into the same charts and graphs to see gaps and spikes
- Walk back and forward through dates and times to track data trends
- Determine when performance starts to ebb and flow across resources and applications
PerfStack 2.0 provides the following new features and improvements:
- Navigate directly from Application Detail pages to predefined sets of application monitor metrics
- Links from VMs and Host Details populate the PerfStack palette
- Zoom into PerfStack charts to view more details for a selected time period
- Alert visualization improvements
- Each individual alert start/end time is now visualized separately in PerfStack
- Existing aggregate alert visualization against an object is retained
- Export PerfStack data to Excel
- Share PerfStack functionality to make it more discoverable with new Share button