Requirements for SolarWinds SAM
SolarWinds recommends installing SAM on one server and the Orion database on its own SQL Server. Installations of multiple SolarWinds SAM servers using the same database are not supported. SAM supports additional polling engines and additional web servers. For details, see Scalability Engine Guidelines (PDF).
Solarwinds does not support installing SAM on domain controllers.
Refer to Server & Application Monitor 6.5 recommended system requirements for SAM used as a single product installed on Orion Platform 2017.3. Requirements may increase for medium or large environments, or environments with multi-modules installed. See Orion multi-module system guidelines.
SAM technology requirements
Refer to the following sections for additional SAM technology requirements:
- SAM requirements for virtual machines and servers
- Asset inventory and hardware health monitoring requirements
- AppInsight for SQL requirements and permissions
- AppInsight for Exchange requirements and permissions
- AppInsight for IIS requirements and permissions
- Requirements for the Windows Scheduled Task Monitor
- SNMP requirements for monitored devices
SNMP requirements for monitored devices
SolarWinds SAM can monitor the performance of any SNMPv1, SNMPv2c, or SNMPv3 enabled device on your network. Consult your device documentation or a technical representative of your device manufacturer to acquire specific instructions for configuring SNMP on your device.