The following compiled errors provide additional information and troubleshooting.
PowerShell 2.0 not installed
Issue: PowerShell 2.0 is not Installed
Resolution: Install PowerShell. See the following instructions for installing PowerShell andset the permissions.
To install PowerShell 2.0 on Server 2008, download the installation file for PowerShell 2.0 at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968929/en-us and install it on the server.
PowerShell 2.0 is automatically installed on Server 2008 R2 and therefore no additional installation is required.
Set the appropriate permissions for PowerShell on the target server:
- On the remote computer, open the PowerShell console.
- Execute the following PowerShell command:
Set-PSSessionConfiguration Microsoft.PowerShell -ShowSecurityDescriptorUI -force. The permissions dialog should appear.
- Enable Full Control.
- Ensure that the group to which the polling user belongs has access to Microsoft PowerShell.
- When complete, rerun the AppInsight for IIS Automatic Configuration Wizard.
PowerShell WebAdministration snapin not installed
Issue: PowerShell WebAdministration snapin is not installed.
Information: For legacy systems with IIS 7.0 (Windows Vista, Windows 2008) PowerShell WebAdministration snapins are not part of IIS.
Resolution: Download and install the PowerShell WebAdministration snapins found at the following link: http://www.iis.net/downloads/microsoft/powershell
When complete, rerun the AppInsight for IIS Automatic Configuration Wizard.
Polling IIS unsuccessful
Issue: Polling IIS servers is unsuccessful.
Possible Errors: OutOfMemoryException, Not enough storage, WinRM, WinRM not functioning properly, and so on.
Cause: IIS servers hosting many sites may cause polling to be unsuccessful.
Resolution: Increase the polling frequency and Memory per Shell Limit on the target node as needed following the instructions below. When complete, rerun the AppInsight for IIS Automatic Configuration Wizard.
Increase the polling frequency:
The default value is set at 300 seconds (five minutes). If you see more than a five minute gap in a graphed resource, this value can be increased, as in any other SAM application.
- Click My Dashboards > SAM Summary, and then select an application to be taken to the Application details page.
- Click Edit Application Monitor > Override template (next to Polling Frequency).
- Change to the desired value, and then click Submit.
Increase the memory per shell limit:
- Run PowerShell via Run as Administrator and execute the following command to get the actual value:
winrm get winrm/config/Winrs
MaxMemoryPerShellMB. If the value is less than 512, increase this value by executing the following command:
Set-Item WsMan:\localhost\Shell\MaxMemoryPerShellMB NewValue -WarningAction SilentlyContinue;where the
NewValueis the desired memory limit. If the error persists, the value should be increased again.