The Real Time Process Explorer (RTPE) is available for WMI and SNMP monitored nodes. This feature is similar to the Processes tab found in the Windows Task Manager. The advantage of the RTPE is that you no longer need to physically, or remotely, log in to a particular computer and run the Task Manager to retrieve that machine's vital statistics. Information for both monitored and unmonitored processes is displayed directly through SAM using the RTPE.
- Only SAM administrators can end processes as well as enable and disable the RTPE.
- The User Name and Command Line columns are hidden by default.
- Using the RTPE on a node monitored via ICMP, which has no working component, requires you to select Windows credentials manually. Consider promoting the selected node to SNMP or WMI to avoid this prompt.
Navigating to the RTPE
The Real-Time Process Explorer button is available in the Management resource. You can open the RTPE from the following locations:
- On your Summary page, from the All Nodes group, click a node.
- The Real-Time Process Explorer button will not be available on the Node Details page if Top 10 lists are hidden, or when an assigned application template does not contain an SNMP Process Monitor or WMI/Windows Service Monitor.
- Pop-ups must be enabled in your browser to view the Real Time Process Explorer.
- On your Summary page, locate the All Applications group, and click an Application.
- On your Summary page, locate the All Applications group, and click an Application. Click a component.
Managing the RTPE
You can complete the following processes when managing the RTPE.
|Monitoring a Process that is not being monitored||From the Real-Time Process Explorer, click Start Monitoring.|
|Showing all Running Processes||Click Show All at the bottom-left of the window.|
|Showing a Set Number of Running Processes||Change the number in the text box next to the Show All button from 10 to a value that suits your needs.|
|Pausing Polling||Click Pause Polling at the top-left of the window, when available.|
|Ending Processes||Check the processes to end and then click, End Process.
This option is only available when the RTPE is using a WMI connection.
For more information, see Real-Time Process Explorer