SAM licensing model detailed
The SolarWinds SAM license you purchase is based on the number of allowed assigned component monitors. A component monitor provides a statistic that you want to monitor in SolarWinds SAM. You can have as many application templates and assigned monitors as needed, as long as the number of assigned component monitors does not exceed the license count.
If assigned component monitors exceed the license limit, monitors beyond the license limit are not activated and statuses change to Not Licensed. Either disable assigned component monitors to reduce your total assigned monitor count, or contact SolarWinds to upgrade your SolarWinds SAM license.
SAM has the following available license tiers:
|Available License Tiers||Number of Components to Monitor|
|ALX||Unlimited amount of items to monitor standard polling throughput.|
SolarWinds SAM licenses do not have to mirror the license count of other installed SolarWinds products. For example, you can install SolarWinds SAM with a 150-component license on a SolarWinds NPM server with an unlimited node license.
The number of component licenses are consumed by a specific amount by component and feature:
- Asset Inventory data collection: Asset Inventory data collection does not count against your SAM component monitor license.
- Windows Scheduled Task Monitor: The WSTM consumes five license units per node.
- Agents: Agent software is free. You remain bound by license limits regardless of whether you poll information via an agent or another protocol.
- AppInsight for SQL: 50 component monitors count against your licensed number of component monitors per SQL instance.
- AppInsight for Exchange: 50 component monitors count against your licensed number of component monitors, per Exchange Server.
- AppInsight for IIS: 30 component monitors count against your licensed number of component monitors per monitored IIS server.
To verify the number of consumed and available component monitors in your license, access the SAM License Summary.
- Log in to the SolarWinds Web Console with an administrator account.
- Click Applications.
- Click SAM Settings.
- Click SAM License Summary.
Alternatively, click License Details in the Settings page to view the used and available component monitors.
Verify the component monitors consumed per template
SolarWinds SAM licenses do not have to mirror the license count of any other installed SolarWinds products. For example, you can install SolarWinds SAM with a 150 component license on a SolarWinds NPM server with an unlimited node license.
Example: The Apache template has eight available licensed component monitors. If you have an AL150 license and assign all eight component monitors in this template to a node, the balance of remaining licenses is 142 (150-8 = 142). If only five of the eight component monitors are assigned to a node, the balance of remaining licenses is 145 (150-5=145).
To view the number of licensed component monitors per template in SAM, click Settings > All Settings > SAM Settings > Manage Templates. Review the Licensed Components column amount per template. Component monitors are consumed from the license only when the template is assigned to a node.
Manage and activate your SAM license
During installation, the web-based License manager will prompt you activate your SAM license; note these details:
- When using your Customer ID and password, use your individual profile information.
- If you do not know your Customer ID or password, enter a Support ticket.
- To get an activation key, navigate to the SolarWinds Customer Portal, click License Management, then click the plus sign [+].
- Your SAM license interacts additively with your other SolarWinds licenses. For example, if you have an NPM SL500 (500 nodes and 500 volumes) installed with SAM AL50, you can monitor a total of 550 nodes (500 NPM nodes + 50 SAM nodes), 550 interfaces, 550 volumes (matching the node count), and 50 application monitors.
The web-based License Manager replaces the stand-alone License Manager in Orion Platform products. If you upgraded from a previous version of SAM, you can still use the stand-alone Windows version for Orion Platform 2016.2 and lower. New installs use the web-based License Manager only. If you upgraded to the new web-based License Manager, SolarWinds recommends that you uninstall the standalone version.
To manage SAM and other licenses:
- Click Settings > All Settings in the Orion Web Console.
Click License Details in the Details section.
- Click License Manager.
You can sort licenses by product name, product version, license type, or expiration date. You can also add a license, upgrade a current license to a new tier, and activate licenses on new servers. The License Manager on the Main Polling Engine controls all licenses for your SAM environment, including scalability engines and High Availability.
If you license your product before you install it, click Add/Upgrade License, enter the details, and complete the activation to see the license in the License Manager.