SAM installation checklist
Before installing, complete the pre-installation checklist below. This checklist helps you:
- Verify that system requirements are met, all required software is installed, and required roles and features are enabled.
- Gather the information required to complete the installation.
|Review release notes||Review Server & Application Monitor release notes and available documentation in the Success Center.|
|Review system requirements||
Make sure your environment has all of the required hardware, software, and database requirements for your installations: 6.5 | 6.4 | 6.3.
|Prepare product license||
Review your current product licenses and determine if you need to make any changes. You can download any updated license keys through the Customer Portal.
If you need to modify your licenses, contact your SolarWinds account manager or SolarWinds.
Make sure you have all account credentials, SQL database credentials, your SolarWinds account, and local admin server credentials.
Use the Local Administrator Account for installation.
The Local Administrator Account is not the same as a domain account with local admin rights. A domain account is subject to your domain group policies.
To download SolarWinds products and licenses, you need a SolarWinds Customer Portal account. To create your SolarWinds account, see Access the Customer Portal.
|Schedule the installation||Set up the maintenance window, preferably during off-peak hours. Depending on the number of products, size of databases, and size of environment, you may need hours to complete your installation.
Installations in an existing Orion Platform environment require polling engines and SolarWinds services to be offline for a length of time, causing you to lose a portion of polling data.
|Notify your company||Send a message to your company about the installation schedule and maintenance window. If you need additional help with the installation process, contact and allocate staff to be available.|
Prepare for the install
As part of your preflight, prepare the SAM server or update the existing Orion environment:
|1. Prepare the environment||
|2. Run all Windows updates||Before installation, check for and run all Microsoft Windows Updates on all servers. As you install, if a Windows update runs, your system may reboot as needed by Windows. The installation cannot complete if your system is waiting to reboot.|
|3. Backup existing database||
If you are installing with an existing database, back up the database. If you need help, check your vendor's site for documentation and instructions.
If you have your database on a VM, create a snapshot or copy of your VM.
|4. Open ports according to requirements||For your server ports and firewall, open ports according to the port requirements. Orion uses these ports to send and receive data.|
|5. Check for antivirus software||
Determine if any antivirus software is installed on the server or servers where you plan to install. To ensure the installation goes smoothly, exclude the SolarWinds directory. For example, on Windows Server 2012 R2, exclude
Do not exclude executable files. SolarWinds assumes that
Consider the following gotchas for installing SAM:
- When installing with Dell Carbon Black installed, we recommend stopping or removing Carbon Black. This security product causes issues with MSMQ starting. For details, please see this article.
- Carefully review Windows Server OS and Microsoft SQL Server versions for your SAM installation. Later versions support installs on later versions of these Microsoft servers.
- For later versions of SAM, verify the proper ports are opened including 5671 (Rabbit MQ messaging), 17791 (agent communication to 2008 R2 SP1), and 17778 (SW Information Service, agent communication to 2012).
- When installing into an existing Orion environment with High Availability enabled, you must disable High Availability before you can install. You must have the same versions of SolarWinds products on your primary and secondary server before you can re-enable your HA pools. See details, see Install SAM with High Availability.
- Only use SQL Express for evaluation installations. SolarWinds recommends a Microsoft SQL database on a dedicated server.
- Refer to the SAM Upgrade Guide in the SolarWinds Customer Success portal for additional gotchas.
When installing SAM into a multiple product Orion environment, consider the following:
Install SAM on the Orion server with other products including NPM, NCM, NTA, and SRM.
Installing products on the same server provides a single pane of glass for monitoring: consolidates polling calls and traffic through polling methods, stores and tracks nodes in one system without cross-referencing, provides data for alerts and reports on one system, and manages all logic easily on one system.
- Select the same Orion SQL database used by the current Orion Platform environment.
- If you need to migrate Orion products and install SAM on a new server due to requirements, migrate the Orion products first. See the SolarWinds multiple products upgrade guide.