Edit the AppInsight for SQL template
The AppInsight for SQL template includes numerous component monitors for providing data on all AppInsight monitored SQL instances. If you modify these settings and configurations, the details in AppInsight update to match. For full information on the template and component monitors, see the AppInsight for SQL template.
You may need to log in with an administrator account to perform this action.
- On the Web Console, click Settings > All Settings > SAM Settings > Manage Templates.
- Check the AppInsight for SQL template in the list and then click Edit.
From here, you can edit specific component monitors within the template.
Each component monitor has different settings and options including threshold values, number of records to retrieve, and component monitor description.
- When done editing, click Submit.
On the AppInsight details page, you can modify the listed resources. Each resource provides data configuration and display options, consuming data provided by the template application and component monitors.
- From the resource, click Edit in the upper right-hand corner of the resource.
- Select resources as needed, then click Submit.
Pertinent data for each resource is grouped together by default.
Monitor with other SQL application templates
If you want to monitor without using AppInsight for SQL for specific nodes, SolarWinds recommends using SQL templates.
For example, you may have a large amount of SQL database instances to monitor such as a service provider with SQL instances per customer. For performance, you may not want an AppInsight for SQL running for each of these instances.
To monitor these SQL named instances, add the SQL instance as a node. For details, see the following options. Do not select the option for AppInsight for SQL during node creation.
- Click Settings > All Settings > SAM Settings > Manage Templates.
- Search or browse for SQL Server templates.
- Select the SQL Server template you want to assign to SQL named instances to monitor. You may want to assign multiple templates to the node. Assign these one at a time.
- Once assigned, you can edit one or more templates by checking the boxes and selecting MultiEdit.
- Enter the SQL named instance for the SQL Server Instance.
- You can further modify the templates and application monitors as needed. Data captured through the templates should display on the Node Details for those monitored nodes.
All component or application monitors in a template relate to the SQL named instance, not the server. In Microsoft, the SQL server is a series of instances. These instances are default, unnamed instances or specifically named SQL instances. An instance is an installed Microsoft SQL in a specific directory path.