Scan nodes for applications
SolarWinds SAM can scan nodes for you and automatically assign the Application Monitors it deems suitable for each scanned node. You select the nodes to be scanned, the application templates to use in the scan, and the scanning parameters to determine a match. When run, SAM compares applications located on nodes with the parameters to automatically assign monitors.
You may need to log in with an administrator account to perform these actions.
You cannot scan for user experience (UX) monitors, but you can assign them to nodes manually. Adding monitors from this page does not affect your scan.
Use the Scan Nodes for Applications to configure, scan, and assign monitors:
- On the Web Console, click Settings > All Settings > SAM Settings > Click Scan Nodes for Applications.
- Browse or filter to select nodes for scanning. You can select all or pick and choose from lists. The number of nodes selected lists on the page. Click Next.
- Browse, filter, and select the applications you want to scan for. These applications have associated monitors. Expand the Advanced Scan Settings to set the exactness for matches. Click Next.
To keep the time it takes to scan to a minimum, we recommend you initially scan for only a limited number of application templates. To see more application templates, select a different template group from the Show Only list.
- Exact Match: All the components must match to assign the template.
- Strong Match: Most of the components must match to assign the template.
- Partial Match: Some of the components must match to assign the template.
- Minimal Match: At least one component must match to assign the template.
- Some application templates require credentials either to access restricted resources, or to run within the context of a specific user. To scan for these templates, add the necessary credentials to the list, moving them into an order for using. If a template you are scanning for requires credentials, the credentials in this list are tried in the order in which they appear. You can add credentials or allow credentials to inherit from the node's local credentials. Click Next.
If you have domains sharing user names with different passwords, we recommend you run separate application discoveries for each domain.
Credentials are tried several times over the course of a scan, so an incorrect password is likely to lock out an account. To avoid potential account lockouts that affect actual users, we recommend you create and use service accounts. A service account is an account that is created specifically for the purpose of providing credentials to use for SolarWinds monitoring. With service accounts, no actual user is affected by an account lockout if a password should be entered incorrectly.
- Review the selected options before scanning. If the automatic discovery matches templates that are already assigned to the node, by default the template is not assigned a second time. If you want to assign duplicate templates, select Yes, Assign Anyway from the Do you want to assign duplicates list.
- Click Start Scan to start the discovery and assignments.
- The scan runs in the background. You are notified by a message near the top of the window when scanning is completed. Click View results to see the results of the scan.
You can modify the assigned applications monitors through the Manage Application Monitors page at Settings > All Settings > SAM Settings.