Assign certificate credentials
There are two ways to assign Certificate Credentials; when assigning a template to a node, and when editing a template directly.
Before you begin, choose the right method
- If every node uses unique private keys, then editing the application after it has been assigned is the best option. Use, When assigning a template to a node.
- If most or all of your nodes use the same private key, then you should edit the credentials directly in the template. Use, Edit a template directly.
Certificate library fields required when new credentials are added
- Credential Name: User-defined text that is used to identify the credential for later use in templates.
- User Name: The user who is associated with the public key certificate on the target computer.
- Key: Text content of the private certificate file in Privacy Enhanced Mail (PEM) format.
- Key type: The algorithm the certificate used to generate the certificate pair. (This can be found as part of the header. For example, e.g. "--- BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY---.")
- Key password: The password used to protect the certificate file
The Credentials Library differs from the Certificate Credentials Library. The Credentials Library stores credentials for later use. The Certificate Credentials Library is used by SAM to configure components, which uses certificate authentication. (For example, A Linux Script Monitor authenticated using SSH.)
When assigning a template to a node
- Assign a template to a node.
- When asked to choose credentials, select the Inherit credentials from template option.
- Click Assign Application Monitors and then edit the template by clicking Edit next to the name of the template, as shown.
- From here, you can select one or more Linux/Unix/Nagios script component monitors to edit by checking the boxes to the left of each monitor and then clicking Multi-Edit.
- Check the Authentication Type box and select User name and PrivateKey from the drop down menu.
- Check the Credential for Monitoring box and select the credentials you want to use from the drop down menu, and then click Save.
Edit a template directly
- Select the template you want to edit.
- Change the Authentication Type option to User name and PrivateKey for each component monitor that should use this authentication type.
- From the Credential for Monitoring field drop down menu, select the credentials you want to use with your monitors, and then click Submit.