SolarWinds SAM can scan nodes and automatically assign the Application Monitors it deems suitable for each scanned node. You control the nodes to be scanned, the application templates used in the scan, and the scanning parameters that determine a match.
In larger environments, adding many applications at once can take a great deal of time. You may need to log in with an administrator account to perform this action.
- On the Web Console, click Settings > All Settings > Discovery Central > Discover Applications. To use the wizard, click Discover Applications. You can also access this through the Settings > All Settings > SAM Settings > Scan Nodes for Applications.
- Click [+] to expand the node groups, and then select the nodes you want to scan, then click Next.
- Select the applications to locate in the scan. You can use the Show only drop-down list to filter the application template list. As you select templates across the filter groups, they display in the selected applications section.
To adjust the template assignment criteria, expand Advanced Scan Settings and move the slider to the desired setting:
- Minimal Match - At least one component must match to assign the template.
- Partial Match - Some of the components must match to assign the template.
- Strong Match - Most of the components must match to assign the template.
- Exact Match - All of the components must match to assign the template.
- When you are finished selecting applications, click Next.
- Some application templates require credentials either to access restricted resources, or to run within the context of a specific user. To scan for these templates, add the necessary credentials to the list. If a template you are scanning for requires credentials, the credentials in this list are tried in the order in which they appear.
- If you have domains sharing user names with different passwords, SolarWinds recommends that you run separate application discoveries for each domain. When you are finished entering credentials, click Next.
Warning: Credentials are tried several times over the course of a scan, so an incorrect password is likely to lock out an account. To avoid potential account lockouts that affect actual users, SolarWinds recommends that you create and use service accounts. A service account is an account created specifically for the purpose of providing credentials to use for SolarWinds monitoring. With service accounts, no actual user is affected by an account lockout if a password should be entered incorrectly.
- Review the summary for the scan. If the automatic discovery matches templates that are already assigned to the node, by default the template is not assigned a second time. If you want to assign duplicate templates, select Yes, Assign Anyway from the Do you want to assign duplicates list.
- Click Start Scan to begin the scan, running in the background. A banner message appears near the top of the screen, SAM scan in progress. To view the progress of the scan, click More Details in the banner message. From this screen you can see the progress of the scan, cancel the scan, or go to the Application Summary screen.
You are notified by a message near the top of the screen when scanning is complete. Click More Details to see the results of the scan. Click Application Summary to display the summary page.