AppInsight for Exchange
Applnsight for Exchange monitors virtually every aspect of your Exchange environment. It was designed exclusively for the Exchange Mailbox role that offers a detailed view of your Exchange environment. It provides detailed metrics on mailboxes, databases, and a host of performance counters without the use of agents or templates. After it is applied to a node, AppInsight for Exchange is considered an application and reports data to SAM through a set of component monitors.
You can add AppInsight for Exchange automatically for your environment through Discovery or adding it to a node manually. AppInsight uses the Exchange credentials you enter to directly access the servers, complete configuration, and collect data at polling intervals. Before adding AppInsight, verify you have the correct requirements and account permissions.
Advanced Manual Configuration of AppInsight for Exchange provides additional configuration and usage options. Manual configuration is recommended for experienced Exchange administrators.
To further refine AppInsight for Exchange monitoring:
- Customize the view of resources
- Add and remove component monitors in the AppInsight for Exchange template
- Enable, modify, and use alerts for receiving notifications of Exchange server usage, issues, and thresholds
To optimize your Exchange server performance, see 5 Tips to Optimize Exchange Server for Improved Performance.
Navigating AppInsight for Exchange
AppInsight for Exchange can be found in the All Applications resource on the Application Summary view.
View the AppInsight for Exchange Details page:
You may need to log in with an administrator account to perform this action.
- On the Orion Web Console, locate the All Applications resource by clicking My Dashboards > Applications > SAM Summary.
- Expand the AppInsight for Exchange tree and click [+].
- Expand the node tree, click [+], and then click the application.
The AppInsight for Exchange Details view provides a customizable view of resources for monitoring your Exchange servers and services. Through the resources, you can access additional Exchange details pages including performance counter, database, and mailbox details.
- Click any performance counter within a resource to view the Exchange Performance Counter Details page.
- Click any database within a Database resource to view the AppInsight for Exchange Database Details page.
- Click any user name within a Mailbox resource to view the AppInsight for Exchange Mailbox Details page.
Recommendations for AppInsight for Exchange
When using and configuring AppInsight for Exchange, SolarWinds recommend the following tips, tricks, and best practices:
- After first configuring AppInsight for Exchange, you may not receive active data for all of your resources and alerting for the first 24 hours. Resources and polling have varied polling intervals at the minutes to hours to an amount per day. After the first 24 hours, your resources should all start reporting data.
- When first testing alerts, only assign the alerts to your own or other tester email addresses.
- Watch and monitor the alerts for two weeks, to allow for generating stable baselines. You can configure to use the new baselines for refining monitoring and alert actions for the usage and performance in your specific environment. Your environment may have a unique baseline and performance expectation compared to the default thresholds.
- You can create customized NOC and resource views including AppInsight for Exchange resources for different user groups in your company and organization.