AppInsight for Exchange requirements and permissions
AppInsight for Exchange works only with the MailboxRole, which is used for data storage. All other Exchange servers running different roles should use the Exchange application templates included with SAM if you intend to monitor them. Data is collected at the same default five minute polling interval as traditional application templates.
Microsoft Exchange Versions Supported:
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2010
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2013
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2016
AppInsight for Exchange Requirements and Permissions
- Local administrator permissions are needed for automatic configuration, but they are not needed for monitoring once configuration is complete.
- To provide organization-wide capability, the service account (Domain User) needs to be a member of the View-Only Organization Management group. Membership to this group gives the user object read-only access to the entire Exchange environment, without providing any domain or local access on the Exchange server. It also prevents possible abuse by an unauthorized user accessing the account (e.g. modifying Exchange environment configuration, creating/deleting users, and so on.)
- In order to gather information, the user object must be assigned the Mailbox Search management role within Exchange. In order for the account to be configured correctly, the account must be a member of the Local Administrators group.
For Exchange access this is not required, but in order to modify Exchange and WinRM settings on the server, as well as to poll performance counters, this additional level of permission is required.
- Exchange 2010 must have PowerShell 2.0 installed
- Exchange 2013 must have PowerShell 3.0 installed
- Exchange 2016 must have PowerShell 3.0 installed
- Permissions must be granted for PowerShell to be accessed
- PowerShell 2.0 is required for Windows 2012 (regardless of Exchange version)