Monitor an SQL named instance with AppInsight for SQL
A named SQL instance is an SQL server given a name consisting of the network name of the server plus the instance name specified during installation. To monitor SQL named instances in SAM with AppInsight for SQL, you need the Virtual IP (VIP) of the SQL server and the full name.
Before adding the server as a node, verify the credentials and permissions are configured on the target SQL server.
You may need to log in with an administrator account to perform this action.
To view monitored nodes, access the SQL Server page and specific SQL server details pages. See AppInsight for SQL for details.
This instance is grayed until the poller has polled this node. Once polled, the status color updates.
Locate the VIP for the server
If you do not know the VIP, ping the server through the following instructions.
- Open a command prompt.
- Ping the server name:
Make note of the returned IP. You will use this IP when adding the server as a monitored node.
- Close the command prompt.
Add the node manually with AppInsight for SQL
With the VIP, add the named SQL instance as a node for monitoring. These instructions manually add the node. You can also use the Discovery Wizard. For details, see Add AppInsight for SQL to a node.
- On the Web Console, click Settings > All Settings > Add Node.
- Enter the VIP address for the SQL named instance for the Polling Hostname or IP Address.
- Select a polling method, then select the polling engine for that node.
On the Choose Resources panel, check the appropriate AppInsight Application for the SQL server you will monitor.
- Complete the steps making selections as desired such as specific metrics or custom pollers.
- Review and adjust any settings and click Add Node.
Navigate to the All Applications resource and click your AppInsight for SQL application.
The Enter Credentials screen displays.
- Enter your SQL credentials and select a port (or use the default port).
- Click Test to verify the credentials and configured permissions.
- Click Assign Credential to save and complete configuration.