Search syslogs, traps and objects monitored in the Orion Web Console globally
SolarWinds NPM 11.5 introduces the technical preview of Orion Global Search. This feature provides a global search interface in the Orion Web Console and allows you to search for information contained in traps, syslogs, alerts, events and in the database of objects monitored in SolarWinds Orion.
This feature is Technical Preview. Any functionality in this feature may be subject to change upon official release. This feature is not fully supported at this time and should be used carefully.
Install Orion Global Search
- Go to your installation folder, run the Orion Global Search executable, and complete the installation.
By default, you can find the executable using the following path:
- Run the Configuration Wizard.
If you want to also search through historical syslogs and traps, select the option to index existing entries.
If historical syslogs and traps are not relevant for you, you do not have to index syslogs and traps.
Indexing runs in the background, and can be time-consuming, depending on the amount of data being indexed.
Uninstall Orion Global Search
- Go to Program Features (for example, navigate through Start > Control Panel > Program Features), right-click SolarWinds Orion Global Search, and select Uninstall.
Search with Orion Global Search
When you are notified about an event or issue, search for textual keywords from the notification, such as a user name, application impacted, IP address, remote site name, performance counters or error message.
Example Use Case
When a user reports poor connectivity, you can search for his computer name or IP address.
Execute a global search
- Log in to the Orion Web Console.
- Enter a keyword into the Search Orion box in the top right corner of the Orion Web Console, and click the Search icon.
This will open the results of the basic search in the Global Search view.
- Orion Global Search performs a full text search of the string you enter into the search field. If you want to search for a certain sequence of words, enclose the phrase by quotation marks (" ").
- You can also use auto-complete of search queries and properties.
See Auto-completing queries and properties in Orion Global Search.
- Refine the search to narrow down items you are interested in.
- To prolong or shorten the time period which is relevant for your search, select the appropriate item in the Time Period list below the search line.
- To specify a precise time period, click the links next to From and To items to define start and end date of the period you are interested in.
Refine the search with filters available by default.
See Refining Global Search with available filters.
Add more filters.
See Adding more properties for filtering search results.
Remove an already applied filter.
Locate the property which you want to remove from the search below the search line and click x to remove it.
- Display information about individual search result items:
- To display information about an object in the results list, position the cursor over it. A tooltip displays with relevant information about the object. For nodes, relevant details might include the status, polling IP address, machine type, average response time, packet loss, and CPU load.
- To view events and alerts concerning the object, click the + before the item in the results list.
See Troubleshooting slow Internet connectivity with Orion Global Search for more information.