Deploy an agent with the Add Node wizard
This is the recommended method to deploy an agent to a node. The Orion server deploys the agent software to the target node, installs the software using the credential you select, and adds the node to the Orion server as a monitored node. After the agent is installed, it operates under a local account.
The Orion server must be able to communicate with the remote node. To monitor Linux-based devices, TCP port 22 (outbound) must be open on the Orion server or additional polling engine and open (inbound) on the deviceyou want to monitor.
- Click Settings > All Settings in the menu bar.
- Under Node & Group Management, click Manage Nodes.
- Click Add Node.
- In the Polling hostname or IP address field, enter the IP address or fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the device you want to manage.
- Select Windows & Linux Servers: Agent as the Polling Method.
- Select the operating system type of the remote computer.
- Choose a credential from the list, or enter new credentials, and then click Next.
- These credentials are only used to connect to the remote computer and install the agent software. After the agent is deployed, the credentials may change with no impact to the deployed agent.
- The credentials must have administrator or root-level privileges. On Linux-based devices you can connect with one credential set and then use another credential to use
sudofor package installation. Most Linux distributions require the user's password when using
sudo. Other distributions, such as SUSE, may require the root password. Depending on your Linux distribution, enter the required credential for the Include Credentials with Elevated Privileges to install the package.
- For Linux-based nodes, you can choose to add SNMP credentials to collect SNMP data for Asset Inventory and Hardware Health from the remote node.
- Click Start Install on the Install Agent Software window.
- Choose the resources to monitor on the agent, and click Next.
- Add application monitors on the agent, and click Next.
- Change properties or keep the defaults, and click OK, Add Node.
When installation is successful and communication between the agent and the Orion server is successful, the agent is listed on the Manage Agents page.