Create wireless heat maps
Wireless heat maps help you visualize wireless signal coverage on a building floor plan.
Wireless heat maps are only supported for Cisco wireless controllers. The wireless controllers you want to see on wireless heat maps must be managed in SolarWinds NPM.
Before you begin
- Obtain an image of the wireless coverage area, such as a floor plan.
- Find at least one measurement of the distance between two points on the image, such as the length of a conference room.
- Choose the physical location of access points to accurately place them on the map.
To create wireless heat maps:
- Start Network Atlas in your SolarWinds program folder.
See Start Network Atlas.
- On the Welcome to Orion Network Atlas page, click Wireless Heat Map in the Create New section.
- Enter a name for the new map.
- Set a floor plan as the background.
- Set the wireless heat map scale.
- Add wireless access points.
- Optional: Improve the accuracy of wireless heat maps by taking samples of the signal strength on real devices.
- Click Generate to display wireless signal coverage.