Deploy agents on Linux-based computers through a repository
Use built-in package management tools, such as
zypper, to install agent software on your Linux-based computers. The Orion server and Additional Web Servers are Linux repositories for the agent. This method allows you to use automation tools to mass deploy agents on your Linux-based computers.
When installing the software, you may be prompted that you are using a deprecated command.
- Click Settings > All Settings in the menu bar.
- Under Product Specific Settings, click Agent Settings > Download Agent Software.
- Click Linux, and Next.
- Click Install via Package Management Tool, and click Next.
- Select your distribution.
- Copy the repository command and paste it in a terminal open to the Linux-based computer.
- You may be prompted for the root password to add the repository.
- After the repository is registered with the computer, copy and run the install command.
The agent software is downloaded from the repository and installed on the computer.
- In the terminal, type
service swiagentd init.
- Configure the agent communication mode and polling engine information.
7to save your changes.
- Optional: For Server-initiated communication (passive), in the Orion Web Console click Settings > All Settings > Node & Group Management > Manage Agents > Add Agent > Connect to a previously installed agent > Next. Enter the name, IP address, and port number for the agent and click Server-initiated communication.
When installation is successful and communication between the agent and the Orion server has been established, the agent appears in the agent list on the Manage Agents page.
When installation is successful and communication between the agent and the Orion server is successful, the agent is listed on the Manage Agents page.
The Orion repository
The SolarWinds Orion repository is available when you install any SolarWinds Orion platform product running on version 2016.2 or later. You must add the location of the repository to every Linux-based computer that you want to install the agent software from the repository. Repositories are generally added by the
root account. This can be automated by an automation tool.