Create cloud application monitors and templates
SAM includes built-in templates that offer a powerful, customizable way to monitor components and applications in a cloud infrastructure. Templates are comprised of application and component monitors, configuration settings, and scripts that collect data for applications and nodes. Script monitors also provide an array of options for developing custom scripts to process requests and return metrics. You can use built-in templates and scripts, or create your own.
After configuring cloud instances/VMs as managed nodes in the Orion Platform, assign templates to them to gather metrics for monitoring performance and thresholds, troubleshooting, and tracking application health. For details, see the SAM Custom Template Guide, as well as these resources:
- SolarWinds Success Center
- Understanding Application Templates video
- SAM Template Showdown video
- Additional SAM templates on THWACK
SolarWinds supports templates and monitoring scripts included in the SAM product. To solicit feedback from the SolarWinds IT community about custom templates and scripts, visit THWACK.
Here is an high-level example about creating a custom template to monitor a Linux OS on a cloud instance:
- In the Orion Web Console, configure the cloud instance as a managed node.
- Click Settings > All Settings > SAM Settings > Manage Templates.
- Select the built-in Linux CPU Monitoring Perl application template and click Copy.
- Modify existing component monitors as needed for Linux on the cloud.
- Add any component monitors as needed.
- Assign the template to the Linux-based managed node to begin polling and display results in the Orion Web Console, as shown in this example.