Add discovered devices to SolarWinds Orion
After the Network Sonar Wizard discovers your network, the Network Sonar Results Wizard opens, allowing you to import network elements into the SolarWinds Orion database. Discovered elements do not count against your license count; only elements that you import into the Orion database count against your license.
When you manually run discovery, by default, the system automatically selects all network elements to be monitored. You must clear the check boxes for elements you do not want monitored.
Before you begin, ensure that you Discover your network.
If you are discovering your network for the first time, SolarWinds recommends that you monitor a small number of devices.
- Ensure that only the device types you want to monitor are selected, and click Next.
After discovery, if the status of a node is Unknown, you may need to check a few settings in SolarWinds NPM. See Troubleshoot Unknown Nodes for more information.
- Ensure the interfaces you want monitor are selected, and click Next.
SolarWinds recommends that you do not monitor VoIP interfaces or NULL interfaces.
By default, SolarWinds Orion imports interfaces that are discovered in an Operationally Up state. However, because interfaces may cycle off and on, you can also select Operationally Down or Administratively Shutdown states for import.
- Ensure the volume types you want to monitor are selected, and click Next.
SolarWinds recommends that you do not monitor compact disks or removable disks.
- Review the list of elements to be imported, and click Import.
- When the import completes, click Finish.
- Click the Home tab to begin exploring your network.