Create a custom alert
In this scenario, an alert is defined on the two nodes (a router and switch) in the New York IT office that have GB (gigabit) interfaces. When these interfaces go down, the New York offices lose internet connectivity. It is vital that the IT team knows that there is a problem.
The alert should trigger when the status of either interface is down (not equal to Up). This alert is also configured to send an email to the New York IT team every minute, and if the alert is not acknowledged in 10 minutes, the alert escalates and sends an email to the Director of IT.
- Click Settings > All Settings.
- Under Alerts & Reports, click Manage Alerts.
- Click Add New Alert.
- Enter a name and description, and click Next.
- Define the scope of the alert.
In this example, the alert applies only to nodes owned by the New York IT Department and have GigabitEthernet in the name.
- Define the trigger condition, and click Next.
In this example, the alert is triggered when the status of the interface is not equal to Up.
- On the Reset condition panel, click Next.
- On the Time of Day panel, click Next.
- On the Trigger Action panel, click Add Action.
- On the Add Action dialog box, select Send an Email/Page, and click Configure Action.
- On the Configure action dialog box, enter a name, recipients, message, and SMTP server details.
- Click Execution settings, configure the email to be sent every minute, and click Add Action.
- Click Add Escalation Level.
- On the Trigger Actions panel, set the wait time.
In this example, if the alert is not acknowledged within 10 minutes, an email is sent to the Director of IT.
- In the Escalation Level 2 section, click Add Action, and configure an escalation email to be sent.
In this example, an email is sent to the Director of IT.
- On the Trigger Actions panel, click Next.
- On the Reset Action panel, click Next.
- On the Summary panel, review the alert configuration, and click Submit.
The alert appears on the Manage Alerts page.