Custom Chart Resource
With the Custom Chart resource, you can graph one or more data series on a single chart. Charts may have dual, left and right, y-axes, and custom formats and colors.
Customize the chart
Click Edit, make the changes, and click Submit.
Select objects as the data source
We recommend this method for new users and for permanent network objects. The resource is limited to objects that you select.
- Select Specific Objects (static selection) if you know precisely which objects you want to include in your chart.
- Select the object type to chart from the Show drop-down.
- Select an appropriate grouping criterion from the Group by drop-down.
- Select objects by checking or expanding appropriate groups, and checking objects to chart.
- After selecting all objects to chart, provide a name for the selected group of objects in the Selection Name field
- Click Update Data Source.
Define object for the source dynamically
Use this selection method to specify groups of objects of a specific type that may change over time. For example, "All Cisco nodes in Austin" is best specified using the Dynamic Query Builder.
- Select Dynamic Query Builder to select objects based on object properties.
- Select the type of selector query you want to use (Basic or Advanced).
The Basic Selector provides access to a smaller subset of the most frequently used network object characteristics. The Advanced Selector provides access to all network object characteristics.
- Select the type of objects to include in your chart.
- Click Add Condition.
- Build conditions to define your selection group, as follows:
- Select whether All child conditions must be satisfied (AND) or if only At least one child condition must be satisfied (OR).
- Select an object characteristic, a relation, and provide a value.
The Advanced Selector enables you to select any database column name as a selection condition.
- Add additional conditions to define your object group.
- Provide a name for the group of objects in the Selection Name field, and click Update Data Source.
Specify objects using a query
SolarWinds recommends selecting a time period in the chart instead of i n the query. If you must set a time period in the query, use
- Select Advanced DataBase Query (SQL, SWQL) only if you are comfortable querying your SolarWinds database directly, using SQL or SWQL.
- Select the Query Type (SWQL or SQL).
For more information about SWQL and SQL queries, click "How to use SWQL / SQL".
- Enter a query, and then click Preview Results to confirm that your query provides expected results.
- After confirming that your query provides expected results, provide a name for the selected group of objects in the Selection Name field.
- Click Update Data Source.
Specify time period
Select a time period, or select Custom, and define a custom time period.
- Provide a name for the custom period in the Named time period field.
- Select either Relative time period or Custom time period.
- If you selected Relative time period, select appropriate units and an appropriate value.
- If you selected Custom time period, click each field to select appropriate dates and times to define your custom time period.
- Click Add.
Limit the number of items show by the chart
If you only want to display a specific number or percentage of top records for your defined chart, select either of the following options:
- If you know exactly the number of records you want to display, select Show only limited number of top records, and provide the specific number of records you want to display.
- If you only want to show a top percentage of all records, select Show only limited % of top records, and provide the percentage of all records you want to display.