Orion Web Console administration
Users with Administrator rights can click Settings > All Settings to access the Main Settings and Administration page. The page presents a variety of tools to control the appearance and delivery of information to Orion Web Console users.
As more Orion Platform products are added, additional options will be displayed.
Before you can start monitoring your network, you must designate the network objects you want to monitor. This grouping provides direct links to discovery‑related views so you can quickly and easily start monitoring your network:
- Discovery Central provides a centralized overview of the types and number of network objects you are monitoring with your Orion installation.
- Network Sonar Discovery starts the Network Sonar Discovery Wizard that automatically discovers devices across your entire network for monitoring.
- Add a Node opens the Add Node Wizard. See Add a single node for monitoring.
Node & Group Management
- Manage Nodes displays the Node Management page, where an Orion Web Console administrator can immediately add, view, and manage all network objects currently managed or monitored by your Orion Platform products.
- Manage Virtual Devices opens the Virtualization Polling Settings view where you can view both a list of currently monitored Hyper-V or VMware ESX Servers and a library of the VMware credentials used to monitor your ESX Servers. For more information, see Monitor virtual infrastructure.
- Manage Dependencies opens the Manage Dependencies view. Dependencies allow you to formalize dependent relationships between monitored objects based on network topology or priority to eliminate the potential for duplicated or redundant polling and alerting.
- Manage Agents allows you to create and manage your alerts. For more information, see View agent connections and status, update agents, or manage agents.
- Manage Groups opens the Manage Groups view. To a greater degree than previously available with custom properties, groups enable you to logically organize your monitored network objects. For more information, see Group monitored objects.
- Manage Custom Properties allows you to create and manage custom properties that you can use within your Orion Platform products. For more information, see Custom properties.
- Manage World Map allows you to manage the nodes you want to display in the Worldwide Map resource.
For more information, see Display nodes in the Worldwide Map of Orion nodes resource.
- Manage Pollers allows you to create new pollers or edit existing pollers to fit the needs of your unique devices. You can also import pollers created by your peers from THWACK.
For more information, see Manage pollers using Device Studio.
- Manage Hardware Sensors allows you to enable or disable monitoring hardware health sensors in the Orion Web Console. For more information, see Monitor hardware health.
Alerts & Reports
- Manage Alerts - create and manage web-based alerts. For more information, see Use alerts to monitor your environment.
- Manage Reports - create and manage web-based reports. For more information, see Create a web-based report.
- Manage SMTP Servers - add and manage SMTP servers used to send email notifications.
For more information, see Add an SMTP server.
- Configure Default Send Email Action - configure the default SMTP server and email information used with the Send Email alert action.
For more information, see Configure the default information in the email action.
Product Specific Settings
- Virtualization Settings allow an Orion Web Console administrator to set up Virtualization Manager integration, configure virtualization, and view your License Summary.
- Web Console Settings allow an Orion Web Console administrator to customize the function and appearance of both the Orion Web Console and the charts that are displayed as resources in Orion Web Console views. For more information about configuring Orion Web Console and Chart Settings, see Orion Web Console and chart settings.
- Agent Settings allow an Orion Web Console administrator to configure settings relevant for your agents. For more information, see Modify global agent deployment and update settings.
- Proxy Settings allow an Orion Web Console administrator to configure a proxy server through which Orion can connect to THWACK and check for maintenance updates if Orion does not have internet access. For more information, see Configure web proxy settings.
Thresholds & Polling
- Polling Settings define the configuration of polling intervals, timeouts, statistics calculations, and database retention settings for your Orion polling engine. For more information about configuring Orion Polling Settings, see Update polling settings.
- Virtualization Thresholds allows you to set warning and critical thresholds specific for the Virtualization module.
- Custom Poller Thresholds allow you to set warning and critical threshold levels for your custom pollers.
- NPM Thresholds allow you to set warning and critical thresholds specific for the Network Performance Monitor.
- Orion Thresholds allow you to configure warning and critical thresholds for nodes and volumes. These thresholds are used in all Orion modules.
For more information about custom poller, NPM, or Orion thresholds, see Thresholds.
Use the Manage Windows Credentials page to create and manage credentials you use to connect to Windows computers on your network.
- Manage Accounts allows you to manage user accounts, and specify management rights and limitations.
- Accounts List provides a table of existing accounts and appropriate details, such as assigned rights or the last login.
- The Manage Views page enables administrators to add, edit, copy, or remove Orion Web Console views. See Create, delete, modify, or restrict views.
- The Add New View page enables you to define new Orion Web Console views.
- The Created NOC Views provides the list of current Network Operations Center page, and enables you to add new NOC views.
For more information, see Optimize views for TV screens or mobile devices.
- The Views by Device Type page allows administrators to designate default views for network devices. See Specify views for device types.
Customize Navigation & Look
- Customize Menu Bars allows Orion Web Console administrators to configure the menu bars seen by individual users. See My Dashboards.
- Color Scheme allows administrators to select a default color scheme for resource title bars. The color scheme selection takes effect immediately throughout the web console. See Change the Orion Web Console color scheme.
- External Websites allows Orion Web Console administrators to designate any external website as an Orion Web Console view, appearing in the Views toolbar. See Add external websites.
This is an information-only page that displays details about the SQL Server database currently used by your SolarWinds Orion installation, such as the version and configuration settings for both your Orion server and your database server, and the total number of monitored objects in the SolarWinds Orion database.
This page shows the status and selected configuration information for each currently operational polling engine.
Orion Platform Details
This is an information-only page that displays details about your installation of the common components and resources that all Orion Platform products share, including information about your Orion server, monitored object counts, and the version numbers of the executables and DLLs required by any and all installed Orion Platform products.
This is an information-only page that displays details about all Orion products that you currently have installed. This page also shows the version numbers of the Orion products you are running and the versions of associated DLLs.