Use an Additional Web Server
With an Additional Web Server, you can access the Orion Web Console remotely, from a location other than your primary Orion server. You can view the primary Orion Web Console without deploying an entire Orion installation or excessively taxing the resources of your primary SolarWinds server.
- Matching version of Additional Web Server and your product installed on the main polling engine
- 64-bit operating system:
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 or
- Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2016
- Matching version of .NET 4.5 installed on the main polling engine
- Minimum hardware requirements
- CPU speed: Quad core processor, 2.5 GHz or better
- Hard drive space: 2.5 GB minimum
- Memory: 4 GB minimum, 8 GB recommended
A higher number of concurrent users may change the requirements.
Before you begin, prepare:
- Hostname or IP address of your main polling engine
- Orion Web Console user name and password with administrative rights
- To use SQL authentication, prepare the SQL server credentials
- SQL database name
Download and install an Additional Web Server
- In the main Orion Web Console, click Settings > All Settings > Web Console Settings.
- Click Download Installer Now.
- Run the installer on the computer you want to use as your Additional Web Server.
- Enter the main Orion server Orion server credentials.
- Choose Additional Website.
The packages are downloaded from the main Orion server.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete your installation.
Configure the Additional Web Server
- If the Configuration Wizard does not start automatically, click Start > All Programs > SolarWinds Orion > Configuration and Auto-Discovery > Configuration Wizard.
- Click Next on the Welcome tab of the Configuration Wizard.
- Select or type the SQL Server used by your primary Orion server.
- If you are using Windows NT Integrated Security, select Use Windows Authentication, and click Next.
- If you are using a SQL Server login and password, complete the following steps:
- Select Use SQL Server Authentication.
- Provide your Login and Password, and click Next.
- Select or type the Database Name that is connected to your Orion server, and click Next.
- If a dialog appears that says that multiple polling engines have been detected, click OK to continue database upgrade/verification.
- When the database structure validation completes, click Next.
- Specify a SQL account User Name and Password for the polling engine and web site to use to access the database, and click Continue.
If you already have a SQL account, you can specify the credentials for that account.
- To set up the web console, click Next on the Create Website tab, and then complete the following procedure:
- Specify the IP Address of the local server on which you are installing the new web-only interface.
- Specify the TCP Port through which you want to access the web console.
If you specify any port other than
80, you must specify that port in the URL that is used to access the web console. For example, if you specify an IP address of
8080, your URL is
- Specify the volume and folder in which you want to install the web console files, and then click Continue.
- If you are asked to overwrite an existing website, click Yes.
- When the new web console has been created, click Continue.
You can now use the additional Orion Web Console to access your Orion Platform product.