Troubleshooting agent installation, deployment, and connections
If your agent does not deploy correctly, use the following questions to help you troubleshoot the issue. You can also install the agent manually on the target computer.
Are you installing other software on the target computer?
- Some software installations, such as Windows Updates, prevent other installations from finishing successfully.
- Install the agent when the other installations have completed.
Is the target computer waiting to be restarted?
- Deployment can fail when the computer is waiting to be restarted after installing software.
- Restart the computer and try again.
Is the SolarWinds agent service installed and running on the target computer?
- The agent may have connectivity issues. Ping the Orion server.
- Restart the agent service and try again.
Can you ping the Orion server or connect to the web console from the target computer?
- The SolarWinds agent requires port 17778 to be open on the server (server-initiated communication).
- Verify that the Orion server can ping the computer that has the agent installed (agent-initiated communication).
- Ensure that you are using the correct Orion administrator credentials.
Do you use group policies in your organization?
- You may have a network policy that interferes with deploying agents.
Are your credentials correct?
- (Windows only) - Ensure that the account can access and create a folder at the following location:
\\<hostname_or_ip>\admin$\tempon the remote computer.
- Ensure that Remote Procedure Call (RPC), a Windows service, is running.
- Ensure the required ports are open. See the Orion Agent requirements.
- Windows -135, 445, 17778, and 17791
- Linux - 22
- If you are using a domain account, use the complete name when entering credentials. For example:
Can you resolve the host name or IP address?
- If a host name or Fully Qualified Domain Name was used, ensure that it can be resolved from the client computer.
- If the Orion server or the additional poller is behind a NAT, ensure that the IP address specified when creating the MST file is the correctly routed IP address the client uses to access the Orion server.