Start trap services
Before you can view trap messages in the Orion Web Console, you must confirm that the required trap services on your Orion server are started.
In versions prior to NPM 10.2, the Microsoft SNMP Trap Service is required. As of NPM 10.2, only the SolarWinds Trap Service is required.
Confirm that the trap services are started
- Start Services through Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools.
- Locate the SolarWinds Trap Service in the list, and check its status.
- If the status is not Started, right‑click SolarWinds Trap Service, and click Start.
- If you are configuring NPM 10.2 or an earlier version, verify that SNMP Trap Service is started.
- Locate the SNMP Service in the list, and check its status.
- If the status is not Started, right‑click SNMP Trap Service, and click Start.
Install SNMP trap service
If you cannot find the SNMP Trap Service file, install the SNMP component on your Orion server.
This is only required for NPM version 10.2 and earlier.
- Click Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.
- Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
- Confirm that Management and Monitoring Tools is selected, and click Details.
- Confirm that both Simple Network Management Protocol and WMI SNMP Provider are selected, and click OK.
- Click Next on the Windows Components window.
- Click Finish after completing the Windows Components Wizard.
- If you had to restart your server, click Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services, and make sure the services are started.
The Windows Component Wizard may prompt you to install additional components, require you to provide your Windows Operating System media, or ask you to restart your computer. Accept these prompts.