Set up and monitor Cisco Unified Computing Systems (UCS)
To gain an overview of all information provided by UCS, add the UCS master device, and the primary fiber interconnect devices into the SolarWinds Orion database for monitoring.
- Confirm that LDAP authentication is not enabled on your UCS device. See the device documentation for details.
- Verify in the UCS console that the fiber connects have external IP addresses.
If the external gateway, external IP address, or external mask are set to 0.0.0.0, edit them with values valid for external devices.
- Add the UCS Master node to the database.
If the node shows up in the All Nodes list in italics or with ‘n/a’ as the state, click on it, and click Yes to add the device.
- Click Manage Nodes in the All Nodes resource if the node is not in the list.
- Click Add Node. Provide the IP Address, or provide the host name and select Dynamic IP Address.
- Select External Node or Status Only: ICMP as the polling method.
- Select UCS Manager Credentials, and provide the credentials.
- Polling Engine
- UCS Port
- UCS User Name
- UCS Password
- Click Test under the UCS fields, and click Next.
- Select the resources to monitor on the node.
- Add relevant pollers.
- Review your information, and click OK, Add Node.
For Fabric Interconnects, the polling method must be SNMP. The SNMP version is the customer's preference.
- To select the proper view we use the existing View By Device Type feature.
- To ensure that Standard Poller does not overwrite MachineType and other fields, we use EntityType to identify UCS node in the Standard Poller (and so force Standard Poller not to overwrite our required fields). This same mechanism is also used for the ESX VMWare API.